CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Twist Lock Caps and Right Angle Machining

Posted by juangelt
on 2005-09-26 23:09:40 UTC
hmm...getting inside a tiny tube to cut flat bottom grooves...ugh!
you may consider making the female bayonette slots inside the cap by
using a separately made part, soldered or epoxied in.

but i suggest that the simplest way of all is injection molding for
that end cap if it's to be plastic. delrin is no fun, though as its
boiling point is close to its melting point. easier to use is celcon -
feels like gristle- they make gears of it - and you can get it in
black (i happen to have some). it's pretty much ungluable, i think.
ABS is tuff, eminently cementable and black is available, too.
an aluminum mold can be made very cheaply if you have your own cnc
mill. i doubt it would take a whole day to do it, or more than 20$ of
materials. i could almost see it done with a drill press and a
jewellers saw if there were no other tools and one were properly
motivated...lol
desktop injection molders run less than 3k$ suitable for short runs-
only cuz they are not automated in any way and require user.
i have ultron mega from http://www.iasco-tesco.com/inject/injecti.htm
of course with such a simple mold, it makes sense to do multiple
cavities. you'd be able to shoot perhaps 10 at a time with the ultron
2 0z version.

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Muse" <mtebob1@s...>
wrote:
> Hi Tom
>
> A cnc lathe would be able to cut that groove in one pass in delrin
with a
> properly configured single point tool.
>
> Bob

.,
> timg@k...
> > Moderator: pentam@c... indigo_red@q... davemucha@j...
> [Moderators]
> > URL to this group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO
> >
> > OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
> > If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto:
> aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to
reach it if
> you have trouble.
> > http://www.metalworking.com/news_servers.html

be a
> sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are
there, for OT
> subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.
> >
> > NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY POSTING
THEM.
> DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO EXCEPTIONS........
> > bill
> > List Mom
> > List Owner
> >

> > Yahoo! Groups Links

Discussion Thread

Tom Hubin 2005-09-25 14:34:34 UTC Twist Lock Caps and Right Angle Machining Bob Muse 2005-09-26 16:51:08 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Twist Lock Caps and Right Angle Machining juangelt 2005-09-26 23:09:40 UTC Re: Twist Lock Caps and Right Angle Machining