CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] emc2 BDI-4.xx

Posted by Paul
on 2005-10-01 15:35:23 UTC
Hi Tom

On Saturday 01 October 2005 23:09, Thos J Powderly wrote:
> I followed all the recent notices about BDI3.25,6,7,8,9,30
> that fixed (god knows what it fixed after all this confusion,
> paul did something for les watts's hiccups at quadrants )
>
> I tried to install almost every one of those rapid fire revisions
> and after each install, read about a newer one.

There was no need to download and reinstall from the CD every time. You could
have used apt-get to upgrade just the packages that had changed..
Alternatively, you could have used the upgrade.sh script on the 4.30 CD..

> then 4.30 finally installs
> and emc2 wont configure
> and I find this teensy note on sourceforge as the reason why emc2 wont
> configure
>
>  John K sez emc2 wont build with the current 2.6 kernel
>
> well that note was from 2004
> is it still true?

Very out of date comment - emc2 has been compiling on 2.6 kernels for some
months now.

> I did an anonymous checkout today & then ( as opposed to the notes on
> Linuxcnc.org which have you in the wrong directory... )
>  cd src
>  ./configure
> results in...
>  checking for /usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.12.6-magma/include/linux/version.h
>   usability... no
>  presence... no

apt-cdrom add
apt-get install kernel-sources-2.6.12.6-magma gcc tk8.4-dev libgtk2.0-dev

If you had done a full install of everything you can forgo the previous lines

cd /usr/src
tar -xjzf kernel-sources-2.6.12.6-magma
cd kernel-sources-2.6.12.6-magma
cp /boot/config-2.6.12.6-magma .config
make oldconfig
make prepare-all

This sets up the development environment, and from here you can move on to
configuring & compiling emc2.

> well. it's some use of the word presence that i'm not familiar with,
> cuz I went there & read the dang thing
>
> what version BDI do I downgrade to to get emc2 to build? AND have Halcmd
> and Halscope working? What kernel version is neccesary?  Any other caveats?

You have everything you need at your finger tips - No need to re-install,
downgrade, or any other hackery. Any further problems, feel free to pester
JMK for detailed answers ;)

Regards, Paul.

irc channel for EMC users at irc.freenode.org
/join #emc

Pieces of seven! Pieces of seven! (Hrm, parroty error)

Discussion Thread

Thos J Powderly 2005-10-01 15:09:57 UTC emc2 BDI-4.xx Paul 2005-10-01 15:35:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] emc2 BDI-4.xx