CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Has anyone done one of the R/C motor spindles?

on 2005-10-05 08:04:28 UTC
Whelen,
This will NOT work for brushless motors as they are essentially 3-phase AC
motors and have 3 lead wires.

Roger,
If you're interested in making or acquiring a brushless spindle system, I
can highly recommend you check out eBay auctions 7534416644 & 7537063184 and
contact this guy. His name is Richard and I've purchased several items from
him as his products are very high quality. He's also extremely helpful,
even if you're just asking questions for your own project.

I don't have any connection with this vendor. I've just been very satisfied
with several purchases and subsequent support.

Andrey

-----Original Message-----
From: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of whelenremington
Sent: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 10:34 AM
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Has anyone done one of the R/C motor
spindles?

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "vrsculptor"
<vrsculptor@h...> wrote:
> Has anyone done one of the brushless R/C motor spindles yet. I'm
> curious as to how it worked out and what motor/controller you used.
> Thanks,
>
> Roger

Roger, I havn't done one but I've been wondering about the same
thing. Hans Wedemeyer at http://hans-w.com has a link "DC Motor
Speed Control" on his site but I don't know if it will control a R/C
dc motor. If I remember correctly, the R/C dc motors run off of
batteries. They seem to be of high enough torque, may have a
respectable duty cycle for long machining runs, and may use rare
earth magnets to get the extra torque. I am not sure about the
bearings, their pre load, ability to take heat buildup, and the type
of bearings used, as well as the abec class. As you see I don't know
much about the performance characteristics of the R/C dc brushless
motors, but I have been wondering why they would not be useful as
high speed spindle motors for PWB drilling applications. And as you
have asked, how do you control their speed and get dc current to
them. Maybe someone will help us out with some answers.

Whelen

Addresses:
Post Messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com

timg@...
Moderator: pentam@... indigo_red@... davemucha@...
[Moderators]

OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto:
you have trouble.