CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Steel Channel flex ?

Posted by leslie watts
on 2005-10-10 06:05:09 UTC
Dave I'll take a stab at this one...

OPEN sections (I beams, channel, angle, etc) are very soft in torsional
or twisting.

CLOSED sections (box, tubing, etc) are dramatically more resistant to
twist.

A classical experiment is with two thin walled pipes....one closed
and the other with a narrow longitudinal slit...like a "c" cross section.

Both will be stiff in bending, but the c cross section will be very
compliant
in torsion. You can try this by cutting a cardboard paper roll.

This begs the question as to why open sections are even used. Well,they have
some advantages:

1) they can easily be twisted to conform to another member without undue
stress
2) They are easier to fabricate
3) they can be joined without blind fasteners

In your case an offset load will create torsion in a single open member.
This will directly reduce the stiffness at the spindle. The lightest and
stiffest structure for this will be a closed section. In general open
sections
should not be used for torsional loading. The material will not be
efficiently used.

Does that help?

Les

Leslie M.Watts