CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: laser postioning....

Posted by Stan Lewis
on 2005-10-17 07:22:16 UTC
Lasers are available..... From $ to $$$$

The question as to which laser (and how much $) is governed by the last
statement in Ron's email.

If cutting 1/8 wood (1/8 styrene) then a 20 Watt CO2 laser is sufficient. A 20
Watt CO2 laser can be made by the savvy (and safe) home builder. One can be
found most anytime on ebay (like right now, just do a search for 'co2 laser').
One can even use a 'decommissioned' surgical co2 laser.

Basically a co2 laser is not much more than a complicated neon sign, yet
profoundly more damaging and dangerous. There are several types of co2 lasers:
sealed or flowing gas. Then there is the high voltage PS, which can be as
simple as a variac/Neon Sign Xfmer or a switched RF power supply.

As for the positioning issue.. It is not a matter of gantry or lenses, but a
matter of whether one wants the beam (CO2 and laser beams are either invisible
or extremely hard to see) out in the open or enclosed, hence the idea of gantry
or lenses (really mirrors). Some designs shoot the beam straight down (think of
the laser head like a drill press), while some lay the laser on its side and
bounce (at least once) the beam downward through the focusing lens.

The design with open beams bouncing from one mirror to the next (at hopefully
right angles ;-) is a "flying optics" version. If using this type of setup, I'd
greatly suggest an enclosure with lockouts or a big red light that tells
everyone the laser is 'firing.'

Me, I've scavenged a 'decommissioned' surgical laser with articulated delivery
arm (cost me about $500 inc. shipping). The laser was not operational and is
the older "flowing gas" design, but I am slowly bringing life to it.

+stan

Message: 1