CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] anyone familiar with the L6203 & L297

Posted by Paul Kelly
on 2005-10-17 17:17:58 UTC
Your understanding is correct. There is a rule of thumb that says you
shouldn't power the PWM drive with more than 20x the stepper voltage. In
practice, most drivers have a minimum pulse width, if you drive them with
too high a voltage, or the inductance of the motor is too low, you'll exceed
the ratings for the driver and/or the motor. A scope is really useful here.
Remember not to use inductive (wire wound) sense resistors..

I've built a driver using those chips, works fairly well, lemme know how you
get on.

PK

-----Original Message-----
From: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of zarzul
Sent: Tuesday, 18 October 2005 3:48 AM
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] anyone familiar with the L6203 & L297

I am just starting out building a stepper motor drive to run a 2 axis
lathe using a l297s driving l6203s. I am not sure if I understand the
circuit though. Does the fact that it is modulating the pulse width
mean that I don't have to worry about the voltage of the motor supply?
I am guessing the sense feedback will limit the current so I don't have
to worry about the supply voltage. I was planning on using a 24v
supply. The steppers I am using are 6 or 7 volt Vexta's.

Also how would I go about setting the current limit before driving the
motors.

Addresses:
Post Messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com

timg@...
Moderator: pentam@... indigo_red@... davemucha@...
[Moderators]

OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto:
you have trouble.