CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Source and specs for Thompson Ball Bushings, Ball Screws, and shafts for rails.

Posted by John Johnson
on 2005-10-24 15:12:43 UTC
Specs:
http://www.danaher.com
http://www.thomsonind.com/default.htm
http://www.nookindustries.com/

Suppliers:
http://www.vxb.com
http://www.mscdirect.com
http://www.mcmaster.com

http://www.google.com

Regards,
JJ

On 24-Oct-2005, at 10:41, whelenremington wrote:

> I would like to build a X and Y axis using Thompson ball bushings
> riding on shafts, axis driven by ball screws, and stepping motor.
> When I was doing design 40 years ago, I remember that Torrington
> roller bearings had to be press fit in steel, with a minimum wall
> thickness in order for the needel bearings to work. Do Thompson ball
> bushings have requirements such as steel vs aluminum, tight tolerance
> press fit or any fit will do, minimum wall thickness in aluminum or
> steel?
>
> What is a web source for Thompson ball bushings other than eBay,
> where they have reasonable prices, sell retail in small lots, and
> provide specifications.
>
> Also do the shafts that are used as the rails, have to be toleranced
> to 0.0001 inch, and must they be hardened? What is a source for the
> hardened and ground rods? Are there suppliers that will finish cut
> them to length?
>
> What is a retail, small quantity, source for ball screws and ball
> nuts, transport grade and hardened and ground grade, with zero back
> lash ball nuts? What are the different grades for ball screws? Is
> there a discussion somewhere about ball screw grades, implementation
> in a design (two vs one, thrust bearings, ...)?
>
> Thank you in advance for your help.
>
> Whelen

> timg@...
> Moderator: pentam@... indigo_red@... davemucha@...
> [Moderators]
>
> OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
> aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to reach
> it if you have trouble.

> a sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are
> there, for OT subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.
>
> NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY POSTING
> THEM. DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO EXCEPTIONS........
> bill
> List Mom
> List Owner
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

---
Help everyone. If you can't do that, then at least be nice.

Discussion Thread

whelenremington 2005-10-24 07:43:56 UTC Source and specs for Thompson Ball Bushings, Ball Screws, and shafts for rails. John Johnson 2005-10-24 15:12:43 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Source and specs for Thompson Ball Bushings, Ball Screws, and shafts for rails. whelenremington 2005-11-05 04:45:47 UTC Re: Source and specs for Thompson Ball Bushings, Ball Screws, and shafts for rails.