CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Best CNC solution for Getting Started

on 2005-10-31 08:01:36 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "crain36101" <scrain1955@m...>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am a newbie and interested in purchasing a complete CNC milling
> machine setup which includes the design software, CNC controls, etc
> to get a completely automated hobbyist setup from the start. I will
> be working with metal as well as wood and plastics. Typical projects
> will be cutouts, slotting, drilling, engraving, and 3-D molds. While
> I am going to use the machine and software only occasionally as a
> hobbyist, I am willing to spend the bucks for the best and most
> popular solutions for the hobbyist market. I would appreciate
> your unabashed and totally biased :) opinions on:
>
> 1) What you recommend for the best complete solutions and the
> typical prices of these solutions.
> 2) Links to online stores for these systems.
> 3) Most popular CAD programs (Windows PC based) and CNC Milling
> machines used in the Hobbyist CNC community.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

Well Steve, there is a Haas machining center. probably the best for
your needs.

It runs less than 50k and comes complete. needs a 10 ft by 15 foot
floor space (more than half is clearance and walking space)

as you drop lower, in both abilities, service and price, I think
Lathemaster and a similar company offer a package that will do as you
want, but not on a full kneemill, but a Rong-Fu type bench mill.

Lower still is the Sherline. tiny in comparison.

One problem in your request is that the aftermarket software is very
advanced and has a widespread support.

When you go for the turn-key package, you are locked in to the
software that is supplied, and often, that is not of calibaer of what
else is available.

As a note, as you heard, wood and metal are not recomended mixes.
considder a real metal cutting mill and a seperate wood router. The
wood router will offer tons more ability.

And, yes, you can get the same software to run both.

Dave

Discussion Thread

crain36101 2005-10-30 20:37:43 UTC Best CNC solution for Getting Started C.S. Mo 2005-10-30 21:44:30 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Best CNC solution for Getting Started caedave 2005-10-31 04:55:17 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Best CNC solution for Getting Started turbulatordude 2005-10-31 08:01:36 UTC Re: Best CNC solution for Getting Started timgoldstein 2005-10-31 15:13:12 UTC Re: Best CNC solution for Getting Started Steve Crain 2005-10-31 20:37:03 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Best CNC solution for Getting Started