CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Little Router from IMService

Posted by Fred Smith
on 2005-11-04 05:17:45 UTC
Hi Les,

This machine is the result of a project that I have been working on
for several years. The primary design criterium was to accomodate
3D contact digitizing, light milling/routing sheet work, and rotary
4th axis carving and detailing on a desk/bench top. With our servo
system, the machine resolution is 56,000 steps per inch, or .00002
inch, step distance. It rapids at about 90 ipm. The machine is not
scalable as it stands to a 16 x 24.

The dust collector shown is made from conductive material and has a
grounding strap within the hose to reduce static charge build up and
possible explosions. In the setup shown, the dust collector foot
moves with the Y axis. The top of the foot is transparent with a
clearance hole for the cutting tool and collet. The height is
adjustable to permit setup at the top of a sheet of material.

It could also be attached to the router and move with both Y and Z
for 3D work. However, the brush should be quite different for 3D.

We have a spring loaded pen/probe holder that will also be available
soon. A rotary table and tailstock setup are also planned.

The machine is $1995 with DeskCNC and VectorCad-Cam XI software.

The dust collection accessory will be released in a few weeks, and
will probably be under $100. We are evaluating if it would be a
good first project for customers or better just to be bolted on.

The entire machine was designed and CNC programmed in Vector Cad-
Cam. Some of the individual components from the original sketches,
(nearly 4 years ago) were used in the final drawings.

Fred Smith - IMService
http://www.cadcamcadcam.com/hobby

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Les Newell <lesnewell@h...>
wrote:

> Hi Fred,
>
> That looks quite well thought out. It is unusual to see decent
dust
> extraction on these little machines. Does the dust extraction hood
move
> with the Z axis?
> Do you have a rough idea of price? Also are you considering making
> something a bit bigger, say 16x24?
>
> Les
>
> Fred Smith wrote:
>
> >Here is an update on our new 12 x 12 x 4 benchtop, servo router.

http://www.cadcamcadcam.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=121

Discussion Thread

Fred Smith 2005-11-03 15:29:31 UTC Little Router from IMService Les Newell 2005-11-04 01:02:49 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Little Router from IMService Fred Smith 2005-11-04 05:17:45 UTC Re: Little Router from IMService Les Newell 2005-11-04 05:51:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Little Router from IMService Roy J. Tellason 2005-11-04 09:22:56 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Little Router from IMService