CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Was Laser Engraving. . .question regarding reflectivity issue

Posted by Peter Stempel
on 2005-11-07 11:09:07 UTC
This is a how did they do that. . .

I am curious about the reflection issue. In the mid 90s I had many parts
cut from stainless sheet that had been prestamped with a pattern--it was
somewhat reflective, and was about 18 gauge. I mention the stamping,
because not only was it reflective in its finish, it was variably shaped.
We only re-finished the edges after cutting. Although a few cutters sent
me away, the one I used had absolutely no problem, and claimed they could
even cut mirror finished stainless. This was probably about 1996 or 97 at
the latest. Wondering how they got around the reflection issue. Is
Aluminum more reflective than stainless in the required wavelengths? Did
they use some sort of exotic laser? I wish I had asked more questions when
I was there, but I was just happy to get my parts. . . the machines were
enormous.

Peter

Discussion Thread

Peter Stempel 2005-11-07 11:09:07 UTC Was Laser Engraving. . .question regarding reflectivity issue Jon Elson 2005-11-07 18:37:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Was Laser Engraving. . .question regarding reflectivity issue