CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] questions for emc with the USC

Jon wrote:

>I finally have linux running on a PC.
>I installed a copy of EMC.
>EMC works fine.
>I have a compliant cable connecting the pc to the universal stepper
>controller.
>The USC has a green light indicating the Estop chain is satisfied.
>In its current state, when I run ESC and try to jog an axis, I get a
>message that no motion is possible until the estop is reset and the
>machine on. I get the message regardless of the actual state of the
>estop and machine on. This to me indicates that there's a
>communication issue, probably because I don't have the right ini file?

Yes, the bits used for the Estop sense and command output need to match the
board.

>I put the univstep.ini file in the folder with the rest of the emc
>stuff, but I don't know how to assign it.

You edit the file you use to run EMC from to have the line
INIFILE = univstep.ini

But, for a quick test, you can give a command like :
./emc.run -ini=univstep.ini

>I have a copy of univstepdiags on the linux desktop. I don't know what
>to do with it.

start a command window (the sea-shell symbol on the taskbar) and then
type :

su
<root password>
cd <wherever the univstepdiags file is located>
./univstepdiags bus
(this will list out the possible IEEE-1284 addresses, and
whether the board has
been found)
If that looks good, ie. univ stepper controller found at addr 00, then try
./univstepdiags commtest
(this should produce a listing that says xxxxx cycles
performed, 0 errors.
When it gets to 100,000 cycles without any errors, kill it
with a ctrl/C.)

Jon 2005-11-13 16:44:07 UTC questions for emc with the USC Jon Elson 2005-11-13 19:42:33 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] questions for emc with the USC