CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: EMC with STEPPING_TYPE = 3

Posted by samcoinc2001
on 2005-11-23 07:51:24 UTC
if you look in the emcmot.c source file there is a section that
explains type 2. Now I just scanned through it and my C is pretty
rusty. Looks like you can run up to 5 phase steppers at 6 axis's.
Some one more experienced is going to have to tell you how to hook
it up. Here is a snippet of the code comments and line numbers from
here.

http://www.linuxcnc.org/handbook/fileref/emc/emcmot_8c-source.html

04128 * lpg_phase_drive()
04129 * Routine to compute and output the phase drive bits needed
by quadrature
04130 * phase stepper drive systems like the TMG (The Motion Group)
electronics
04131 * package. The command input resides in the global array
pdmult[] which
04132 * represents the number of cycles delay between phase
changes. The
04133 * output is a global array emcmotDebug->stepperCount[] which
is used as encoder feedback
04134 * to the servo loop controller. This routine
04135 * uses table lookup for the state transitions. This table and
the output
04136 * definitions could easily be rearranged to directly drive a
3,4 or 5 phase
04137 * stepper system in low cost systems.
04138 * This code gets run if you set [emcmot] STEPPING_TYPE = 2 in
your ini file.
04139 * The faster this routine executes, the shorter you will be
able to set
04140 * your PERIOD parameter without locking up the computer and
the better
04141 * speed resolution you will have with your stepper system.
04142 * Remember: this code has to execute in less than PERIOD
seconds.
04143 * written 26-Oct-2000 by Lawrence P Glaister VE7IT
lg@...

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "samcoinc2001"
<samcoinc2001@y...> wrote:

> I have just recently been running emc. I am using step and
> direction drives but in the proccess of learning about freqmod I
> found a lot of info. Looks like type 3 is a 4 phase output. type
2
> they call a table driven stepper - maybe that is what you need.
> Come up with your own phase table. Don't ask me how that works as
> have not found any info on it.
>
> sam
>
> http://emc.sourceforge.net/NIST-archive/msg05936.html
>

> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "martindunschen"
> <zabaione@u...> wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > I had posted before, looking for advice on how to configure EMC
> with a
> > German made stepper drive, called SMC 1500.
> >
> > I am now at a stage where I get some kind of a response from the
> motors:
> > I use
> > EMCMOT = freqmod
> > STEPPING_TYPE = 3
> >
> > I cant find much useable documentation on this setting of
> > STEPPING_TYPE = 3.
> >
> > My interpretation is this. The driver card I use is just some
kind
> of
> > an amplifier, it does not process clock/direction signals, but
> needs
> > the waveforms send out to energize the motor coils. The
setting "3"
> > for STEPPING_TYPE does that. Does that make any sense?
> >
> > Now, with these settings the motors make a lot of noise and tick
> back
> > and forth. When I then jog the motors, the noise just changes.
> >
> > My assumption is that I now have to calibrate the software to the
> > motors/drive. This means fiddling with P, I, D and further
> parameters.
> > But I dont have the slightest clue where to start, or a method I
> could
> > use. When I change the P it seems to have an influence: The
> rattling
> > noise the motors make changes. But no idea what I am aiming for.
> >
> > Does anybody out there use a similar setting, and can post some
> hints
> > on how to proceed?
> >
> > (I also have a DOS programme (PC-NC) that operates the motors
very
> > smoothly through the same driver card, and I would assume that
EMC
> and
> > Linux would be capable of the same, or not?)
> >

> > Martin

Discussion Thread

martindunschen 2005-11-23 02:54:02 UTC EMC with STEPPING_TYPE = 3 samcoinc2001 2005-11-23 07:35:52 UTC Re: EMC with STEPPING_TYPE = 3 samcoinc2001 2005-11-23 07:51:24 UTC Re: EMC with STEPPING_TYPE = 3