CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Re: Re: Electronic Lead Screw & Power Cross Feed | Poor Man''s CNC ?

on 2005-12-06 10:17:08 UTC
> Vaso wrote:
>
> >Bob:
> >
> >You've done an excellent review of the entire issue. Full CNC is
> >clearly far more complex than electronic lead screw - and requires far
> >more learning time. CNC leads to a different lathe machine altogether
> >- where "machining" is replaced by "programming" - even for simple
> >one-off pieces. I understand - once converted to CNC - a "CNC lathe"
> >cannot be a good "hands-on" manual lathe - except maybe with expensive
> >electronic handwheels.
> >

> Not necessarily true. We have a Bridgeport/Romi CNC lathe at work that
> can be used manually as if it only had a DRO. You might notice a slight
> drag on the handwheels, that is about the only sign. I don't see why a
> CNC setup that preserved the handwheels couldn't be used manually.
> It would need either low-cog stepper motors or servos. If the servos
> had feedback to the computer, then it could act as a DRO when not in
> CNC mode.
>
> Jon

Mach3 does just this. A seamless swap over from manaul to CNC with the displays acting as DRO's

John S.

This e-mail was scanned for viruses using BitDefender

Discussion Thread

John Stevenson 2005-12-06 10:17:08 UTC Re: Re: Re: Electronic Lead Screw & Power Cross Feed | Poor Man''s CNC ?