CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Re: Lathe & Mill Group Purchase | Super X3 Deficiency ?

on 2006-01-18 11:16:58 UTC
> John:
>
> Thanks for your comments. I've already bought the Super X3 and am
> still getting it prepared for operation so I can't discuss your
> remarks. I will say though that when the X3 was first imported, it
> got terrible reviews (See for example
> www.basic.si/x3/X3_Spindle_Horror.htm), but the underlying quality is
> so good that Grizzly has recently started importing the X3.
> LatheMaster has reportedly imported four new Super X3s and apparently
> has a fifty-person waiting list.
>
> Still sore over the progress of the ELS project ?
>
> So, what about the C6B ?
>
> -Vaso

Vaso,
Sorry I was just reporting on what I had seen.
Based on what I have seen I wouldn't buy one unless I was prepared to do serious work on the motor drive.
Not saying it can't be done just that it will have to be done.
The 50 person waiting list means nothing if they haven't tried one.
If I wanted one I could probably get one of these two very cheap, neither party are keen on them.

Not sore over the ELS project in fact I hadn't connected your name to it.
If I was going down that path then I would be interested but I'm not.
A while ago I did look at an ELS and even went as far as getting a programmer to look at it with me but I have moved on.

I have bought a C6B with the idea to conert it to full CNC hence no need for an ELS.
A good machine for the price, well made and finished and accurate.
There are a couple of failings with it but going to CNC will eliminate these, one is no tumber reverse or decent range of imperial threads.
Another failing is the low speed with the single pulley and electronic speed is too high and lacks torque.
I have changed mine to two speed poly vee drive to get lower and higher.

John S.

> >>limited purpose of organizing a (one-time) Group Purchase of SIEG
> >>lathes and mills from China. I think the C6B lathe and the Super X3
> >>mill are currently a "sweet spot" in value among home shop machines.
> >>Unfortunately, neither in currently imported into North America.
> >>The Super X3 is a vertical, tilting, and horizontal milling
> >>version of the X3 mini-mill and falls into a size range above the
> >>X2 micromill and below the heavier Rong Fu mills. Several
> >>individuals are developong kits for CNC conversion of X3 mills.
>

> > Vaso,
> > You need to do more work on researching the Super X3 before buying
> > as there are problems with it.
> > Two have been imported locally to me in the UK and I have had a
> > chance to run one for a short while and was not impressed.
> > ...This only applies to the super X3 and not the standard X3.
> > John S.

This e-mail was scanned for viruses using BitDefender

Discussion Thread

John Stevenson 2006-01-18 11:16:58 UTC Re: Re: Lathe & Mill Group Purchase | Super X3 Deficiency ?