CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: replacing servo motor help

Posted by caudlet
on 2006-01-19 13:01:44 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Owen" <owenis@t...> wrote:

> Greetings to the group.
> Seems I had an unfortunate incident last night, crashing my X axis
into my column. It hit hard enough to break the encoder cover off of
the x axis servo motor [optical encoder.]

> Now the motor cycles back and forth and twitches erratically. It is
a Minertia Motor by Yaskawa. I've spent hours on their site trying to
find info or even a repair facility [even calling their Canadian office]

> Anyway it is looking more and more like I'll have to replace the motor.
>
> The company I purchased my CNC kit from, Axxus Technologies, seems
to be no longer in business [or I cannot find current contact info.]

> How can I decide which replacement servo motor will work with my
current system? I only seem to find stepper motors for sale at any cnc
kit company I find [on line]

> I hate not knowing what I'm doing.
> : -(
>
> Owen Lloyd
> CMRA #111p
> "Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence."

Since it sounds like the motor encoder is damaged the following might
help you get running again:

Take the motor off and mark the wires. Open the encoder up and
visually check it. If the shaft coming out the back of the motor is
bent then you will have to replace the whole motor. Check for loose
wire. If one is broken off it may be a challenge to find where it cam
from but it proabably will be close to where the other solder to the
board.

If there is physical damage to the glass encoder disk or the small
printed circuit card then the least expensive approach is to remove
the existing encoder and replace it with a unit form US Digital. To
figure out what line count you need check the software and work back
to the line count from the Steps per Unit value in the motor
information pages. If you need help with that we need to know what
control software you are using.

US Digital has a series of encoders (E6) that are not expensive at
$49.00 and will work for most motors with a rear shaft. There is
complete information on their website with drawings so you can match
up your hole pattern to make sure the unit will fit. THey have a
center tool I would recommend ordering as well.

Another option they have that is even cheaper is the E2 series. They
have one that has a sticky back in case the mounting holes don't line
up with your motor. Less than 20 bucks but you need to make sure you
order the right shaft size and lead configuration. I would also
invest in the spacing tools.

You might want to get two or three of them.....or fit your table with
limit switches that kill motor power (;-o

Tom Caudle
Http://www.CandCNC.com
"We just made CNC easier!"

Hardware for Home Shop CNC:
Low cost, powered/isolated, breakout card
AC and DC "Drive Saver" power controls
2nd Generation digital THC

Discussion Thread

Owen 2006-01-19 11:08:50 UTC replacing servo motor help caudlet 2006-01-19 13:01:44 UTC Re: replacing servo motor help Owen 2006-01-19 13:19:40 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: replacing servo motor help