CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Encoder information

Posted by caudlet
on 2006-02-01 08:42:44 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "meykevin" <meyclan@w...> wrote:

> Hi,hope that someone can help.
> I have an IBM carridge drive motor part number 6814247 fitted with
> encoder part number 801992-001.
> I need the wiring information on the encoder, so that I may connect it
> up to a Gecko G340.
>
> regards,
> Kevin Mey.
> South africa

I'm gonna go out on a limb here are say that IBM part numbers won't
have any technical specs available. The motor and encoder was built
to their specs and may or may not be anything that would match a
standard part number for a manufacturer. Good luck on getting the
actual electrical specs on any in-house numbered part. You might have
more luck finding information in the IBM part if you have the model
number of the unit and can get a repair manual/schematic to see how
the motor is hooked up. It still won't tell you what the specs are
but might give you some clues.

It may not even be a standard quadrature encoder or work at 5 volts.
Even if it does, it may well pull more current that the Gecko can
supply for encoders. You may also find that the output is not
quadrature and/or the CPR (counts per revoltuion) is pretty low. Your
target depending on your mechanics and gearing will be in the 200 to
500 CPR range which gives 800 to 1000 pulses in quadrature per rev.

If you have a pretty good electronics bench with a dual trace scope
and variable power supply with adjustable current limiting you could
open it up and do some looking and testing to try and figure it out.
A less time consuming approach might be to find either DC motors and
add the new low cost encoders from US Digital (www.usdigital.com) or
find surplus servo motors.

It seems a waste to use a good quality servo drive like the 340 on a
scrap motor.

Discussion Thread

meykevin 2006-02-01 07:57:20 UTC Encoder information caudlet 2006-02-01 08:42:44 UTC Re: Encoder information