CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] measuring motor torque

Posted by Vlad Krupin
on 2006-02-16 18:11:54 UTC
That really depends on your target RPM at which you want to measure the
torque. If you want to know the highest torque achievable (when stalled)
then you can rig up a pulley and a spring, see how far the spring extends
when current is applied, and then see how much weight it takes to extend the
spring by the same amount by just hanging weights off of it. I remember
doing that during one of my physics labs back in middle school. You can get
a remerkably accurate measurement.

I do not know of any simple way to figure out the torque curve for a given
motor. However, most of those curves seem to be quite similar for motors
that are at least somewhat similar in construction and operation. So if you
know the torque at zero speed (easy to measure) and the maximum no-load
speed (you probably already know that one), you can get a pretty good idea
of what torque to expect at a given RPM.

Nothing beats getting a data sheet from the manufacturer though...

Vlad

--
Vlad's shop
http://www.krupin.net/serendipity/index.php?/categories/2-metalworking