CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] TORQUE V VOLTAGE

Posted by Tony Jeffree
on 2006-03-01 15:42:06 UTC
If this is a single phase, capacitor start, induction motor, then reducing
the voltage will have no effect whatever on the motor speed (as this is a
function of the AC frequency, not the AC voltage). However, as you've
reduced the voltage, then the current in the field windings, and hence the
strength of the field generated by the windings, will be correspondingly
reduced, and hence the torque will be reduced also.

What you need is a 3-phase motor and a VFD.

Regards,
Tony

At 23:25 01/03/2006, you wrote:
>When using a step down transformer to achieve lower speed from a
>single phase ac motor I seem to be getting a considerable reduction in
>torque. Could anyone explain this effect.
>

>Addresses:
>Post Messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
>
>Subscribe: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
>timg@...
>Moderator: pentam@... indigo_red@...
>davemucha@... [Moderators]
>
>OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
>If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects
>goto: aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to
>reach it if you have trouble.
>http://www.metalworking.com/news_servers.html

>sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are there, for
>OT subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.
>
>NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY POSTING
>THEM. DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO EXCEPTIONS........
>bill
>List Mom
>List Owner
>

>Yahoo! Groups Links