CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Power Supply Guidance Needed

Posted by Larry Olson
on 2006-03-12 23:45:00 UTC
Ron,
Thanks for the input. I have e-mailed the good people over at
Acme to get the white papers on the transformers I have. I should know
more tomorrow. If they put out 70V and are rated for 120V input than I
am in business. I understand you can parallel the output from 2 of the
same transformers if the impedance is within a few percent of each
other. Do you have any idea how to measure it? I was thinking of
paralleling 2 of the 3 transformers that I have because I think they are
around 1000VA or so.
I have 6 5400uF capacitors on hand that are larger than a soda
can that I would like to use. I figure about 4 of them if I'm thinking
correctly. Also there was a 50W 750ohm bleed resistor across each set of
caps (3 sets of 2ea.). Do you think one will be enough or should I put 2
in series to handle the extra current?
One more question. If I have a 2500KVA transformer (or 2 smaller
ones) what kind of amp draw will it have on 120V? I'm still trying to
come up with a nice crowbar design for emergency shutdown. Any help from
anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Larry Olson