CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re:was cutting fabric ? now LASERs

on 2006-03-18 08:07:38 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Ron Ginger <ronginger@...> wrote:

> I have wanted to do a laser cutter for years- maybe the prices are
> finally getting to where I can do it.
>
> I would like to cut wood- up to 1/8" ply max, and thin styrene plastic.
> What power do I need for that?
>
> If I found one of the Synrad lasers would it come with a lens, or are
> they a separate part?
>
> Id really like to hear more about lasers.
>
> ron ginger

I recently uploaded a half written page about my laser:

http://www.indoor.flyer.co.uk/lasercutter.htm

Some useful info but not loads.

On the surplus market there is a lot of variety from lasers removed
for higher power upgrades to complete medical laser systems. The
typical laser source will be just that, it will provide a laser beam,
you provide the optics.

A basic run down of the lasers you might find:

flowing gas: these need a gas supply (available in bottles from
welding suppliers) and are the most comman homebuilt laser. They
don't "go off" like the sealed ones but will generally require water
cooling (either tap to drain or fridge unit) and will use a high
voltage supply (such as a neon tube transformer).

Sealed: these contain a very special gas mix. They come in various
forms from glass tube to waveguide and will be either high voltage
based or RF. My synrad has an RF amplifier built in, I supply 30v at
28A and out pops laser. Some of these lasers are even air cooled.

Medical: The actual laser may be either of the above types, probably
sealed. They often have an arm attached containing mirrors that
guides the beam to the hand piece, that just contains a lens.
Remember that these things may have seen some terrible sights so be
prepared to scrub.

Overall there are several ways to tackle the laser cutter problem:

1. If you seriously want to cut or have the time wait, go for a decent
sealed unit such as a synrad or a universal. They are a work horse
but are not necessarily very cheap.

2. If you want to tinker consider building one:
http://www.emissiontechnologies.com/ (they do kits for the laser, for
the cutter and they also sell sealed laser tubes).

3. Go cheap, wait and see what turns up on ebay and check out local
hospitals etc. There is a page on Sam's laser FAQs all about the
latter. Beware that some ebay sellers don't know what they are
selling and will over sell them or even lie, be careful. Asking on
alt.lasers for advice can be a good idea.

Laser cutting has been covered a few times on this group, if someone
has PG_offline please do a search and post any useful post numbers.

Graham

Discussion Thread

Ron Ginger 2006-03-17 13:43:20 UTC Re:was cutting fabric ? now LASERs Graham Stabler 2006-03-18 08:07:38 UTC Re:was cutting fabric ? now LASERs