CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Maxcn 15 or a Sherline + CNC conversion?

Posted by djr@n...
on 2000-07-05 18:37:43 UTC
Hello,

I am about to purchase my first CNC mill. I have narrowed it down to the maxnc 15 or a sherline 5400 and the CNC retrofit using the
PIC-SERVO CMC motor controller. Maxnc will be about $3000 and the sherline setup will be about $2300 (both with a rotary table). Is
the maxnc worth the extra money considering it is a stepper system? Am I going to run into problems attempting the PIC-SERVO CNC
conversion... I am worried about software more than anything else? I have also considered the Flashcut 5400 stepper system at $2600,
but that price seems pretty high considering the cost of the 5400 mill itself. The Maxnc website makes mention of BSA zero backlash
lead screws and the sherline does not... will backlash be a problem with the sherline.

Thanks for any info
- Dan