CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Linux/VMWare/Windows 98 question; reply offlist is fine

Posted by Ejay Hire
on 2000-07-06 07:01:12 UTC
If the question is "Can I fix it where I don't have to reinstall windows
every other week, or make it faster to reinstall?" Then the answer is yes.
Fdisk and format your Hard drive and create 2 partitions. (C: and D:).
Install all of your programs on C:, and only save data onto D:. When you
have everything installed, use Norton Ghost to Make an "Image" of your c:
Partition. Save the image to your d: partition. (I like Cd-r's, and
usually will burn the image file to a bootable Cd)

When Windows Self-Destructs, restore the C: partition from the Cd, for a 2
gig partition, it takes around 8 minutes including auto-formatting.

(**Note: You'll still want to do occasional backups of important data, even
though storing it away from Windows will increase it's life expectancy.)

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Murray Leshner" <multi-volti@...>
To: <CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com>
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Linux/VMWare/Windows 98 question; reply offlist
is fine
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 00:29:26 -0400

Getting fed up with Windows randomly butchering itself, I'm anticipating
putting Linux on a dedicated machine, followed by probably VMWare or
possibly Win4Lin then Windows 98. I'm very encouraged by conversation with
someone locally who said with this configuration (he uses VMWare) everytime
Windows croaks, he restores the previous Windows setup (no formatting and
re-installation) and is back in business.

I've been following the threads here from some with Linux experience, and
detect that there are some issues with Windows drivers loaded under Linux'
control.

Can anyone share any perspective on this? (All I have to go on at this point
is a rumor and the awareness that a little knowledge is dangerous).

Thanks for the tolerance of sort-of-OT-topic again.

Murray