CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: New to CNC

Posted by ballendo
on 2006-05-14 14:47:30 UTC
Hello,

You can buy a CNC ready Sherline or Taig mill and put Mach3 on it
instead...

The TAIG is a beefier machine; the Sherline has more/ better
documentation and accessories to go with it. I like the Sherline
headstock and motor/speed control; but Taig's ER spindle and
improved 1/4HP motor tilts things their way a bit more these days.

Each company handles things a bit differently; talk to each and
you'll know which one suits YOUR style.

I've used Sherlines for years; and we will shortly be selling Taig
2019's and I've used them over the yearsas well. So I can speak
impartially about either one. Either one will do your work reliably,
IMO. Each has benefits the other lacks IMO.(see the previous
paragraph.)

As for the Linux EMC offered with the full set; enough folks are
using it successfully that I wouldn't avoid Sherline for that
reason. I just wouldn't pay 2500 bucks when it can be done another
way for less money and at least--IMO--equal results.

BTW, if you're planning/ budgeting that much, seriously consider the
offerings from K2cnc.com A gantry router might get you a lot closer
to what yo want/need a lot faster... Those mill format machines can
be limiting when panels is your thing (sez a guy who's worked on
panels with a Sherline MANY times only doing a small part OF the
panel AT a time...)

Have a look at MaxNC as well. Otto and his son have sold many
thousands of these, and most folks are happy with them. Again be
sure to TALK to each company, read their yahoo group(s) and get a
feel for which seems to best fit YOU. You're gonna be buying more
than just a machine... (MaxNC's can also run with Mach3 in CL mode;
which may be an advantage for you.)

Ballendo

P.S. I know where you can get the electronics/motors/software
package to complete a CNC ready mill from either source<G> email me
offlist if interested.

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Larry Bush" <lbush@...>
wrote:

> I'm in the market to purchase a CNC mill system to engrave and cut
out meter
> holes for electronic equipment panels.
> Panels are both aluminum and plastic. I'm considering the Sherline
Vertical
> milling Machine CNC system or the Micro Mill DSLS 3000.
>
> The Sherline uses the Linux OS. I know nothing about Linux. I am
very
> comfortable with Windows XP operating system.
> Therefore I'm leaning to the Micro mill system. As suggestions as
to other
> small CNC mills I should consider will be appreciated.
>
> Larry

Larry Bush 2006-05-14 11:10:37 UTC New to CNC BRIAN FOLEY 2006-05-14 12:15:09 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] New to CNC deepcavity 2006-05-14 12:25:10 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] New to CNC William Perun Sr 2006-05-14 14:38:57 UTC Re: New to CNC ballendo 2006-05-14 14:47:30 UTC Re: New to CNC ballendo 2006-05-14 14:50:14 UTC Re: New to CNC