CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Rod Sizes

Posted by krashking405
on 2006-05-21 16:40:55 UTC
There are 3 that have the carriages, 2 are the same size, the 3rd
has a larger rod, and a large carriage. Not 100% sure what is going
where yet, still in early design phase.

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "turbulatordude"
<dave_mucha@...> wrote:

> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "krashking405"
> <krashking405@> wrote:
> >
> > Was thinking about using the 2 smaller rods that have their
> > carriages with the base.
>
> I thought the large ones had the carriages. I would use those with
> the carrage on the base.
>
> Dave
>

> 1 on each end with lead screw in the
> > middle. Then the Y-axis could use the largest, and the Z could
use
> > one or 2 of the smaller rods.
> >
> > --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "turbulatordude"
> > <dave_mucha@> wrote:
> > >
> > > --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "krashking405"

> > carriages
> > diameter
> > [388.14375
> > length of
> > at .235
> > mm],
> > [419.1
> > inches
> > [257.175mm].
> > with
> > a rod
> > > >

> > > Put the heavest rods on the base. If you still have the
slides,
> > then
> > > all you need to do is to adapt the slide to a platform maybe
> > epoxy or
> > > some such. maybe screws if you have them.
> > >
> > > if you figure securing each end by 1/2" and a 2 inch long
bearing,
> > > then you have about 3 inches taken up.
> > >
> > > figure the dremel will drill down the center of the gantry and
you
> > > lose an inch on each side from the slides. if it overhangs on
one
> > > end, you lose the 2 inch on the slides, plus the overhang.
> > >
> > > If you get a length of 1/2" threaded rod, you could use that
as one
> > > rail. but, the diameter of the parts is small an you might
want a
> > 3rd
> > > rail.
> > >

> > > As for end supports, you can use a 1x1 wood end rail and
another on
> > > top of it. then just bolt them together and sandwich your
rails in
> > > place. That allows a simple method of getting the ends
mounted
> > > without high tech stuff.
> > >
> > > Although your rails are really light, you will be able to have
the
> > > drill move accuratly to a location. that will allow you to
> > manually
> > > push the dremel into tougher materials for drilling. This is
what
> > > do to spot drill holes in aluminum. I use a 1/8" dia center
drill
> > and
> > > just finger press the unit into the aluminum, then take it to
the
> > > drill press and put in the larger holes.
> > >
> > > The reason I mention this is because once you get the X and Y
> [...]

Discussion Thread

krashking405 2006-05-21 11:55:45 UTC Rod Sizes wthomas@g... 2006-05-21 12:16:22 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Rod required turbulatordude 2006-05-21 13:55:24 UTC Re: Rod Sizes krashking405 2006-05-21 14:09:42 UTC Re: Rod Sizes turbulatordude 2006-05-21 15:33:28 UTC Re: Rod Sizes krashking405 2006-05-21 16:40:55 UTC Re: Rod Sizes