CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Home CNC Computer of Choice Using Older Components

Posted by Art Eckstein
on 2006-05-27 15:53:07 UTC
TMT,
That's about asking long a piece of string to you want/have!

To decide on what computer you want to save, you need to look at what
software you decide to run. If you are a dedicated windoze user, you
need one that will run say XP to run the MachX series of controllers.
If you are like me and believe in DOS, and decide to run something
like TurboCNC, then the range opens up even more. For "most" of the
current crop of cnc controls, you definately need one or more
parallel ports. In the former case, yes you will need a faster
computer and for the latter, not necessary. The choice is yours.

In my present case, I use a 333MHz ISA box running TurboCnc with a
15" crt monitor because they all were in my spare parts bin. A lot
of people "upgrade" to the latest and greatest that they can get at
WallyWorld or some other retail box store and don't know what to do
with the old one. I collect them! I'm just waiting for somebody to
"toss" an LCD screen.

So in summary, what it boils down to is for YOU to decide which
software you want to run. This can dictate a range of computers. No
matter what style you select, you need to be able to protect it from
swarf and coolant (the latter is the main reason I have had to change
boxes). I am learning better ways to protect them as time goes on. As
for input devices, my personal preference is an
"indestructible" keyboard (no contaminants can get into it) and a
track ball (don't need the real estate to provide a mouse pad).

My .05 worth!

At 05:51 PM 5/27/2006, you wrote:
>I have access to a number of older computers, laptops, CRTs, LCDs and
>various keyboards, mice, trackballs , etc.
>
>What are the desirable features for a computer that will be used in
>building a CNC system?
>
>What speeds, form factor, ISA/PCI/? bus, I/O - serial/parallel/USB,
>monitor choice/resolution, etc. should a person use to build a good
>computer targeted for the shop environment and usage?
>
>I also have a number of rack mounted computers...is there any advantage
>to using them over a desktop or a laptop? They are older and slower but
>extremely well built.
>
>Finally how much speed, memory, hard drive does a homemade CNC home
>computer need for the popular softwares in use? This will likely decide
>which computers are used and which are salavaged.
>
>Thanks
>
>TMT

Bubba

OLDER THAN DIRT
Country Bubba
(Actually the inventor of Country and Bubba)
In God We Trust

LaGrange, GA

http://bellsouthpwp.net/A/r/Arts_home_page/cnc/

too_many_tools 2006-05-27 14:51:18 UTC Home CNC Computer of Choice Using Older Components Art Eckstein 2006-05-27 15:53:07 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Home CNC Computer of Choice Using Older Components