CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [DIY-CNC] Horizontal Planes

Posted by Peter Reilley
on 2006-07-04 06:54:09 UTC
You need a Precision Machinists' Level like this;

http://catalog.starrett.com/catalog/catalog/groupf.asp?groupid=88

Another way is to use an autocollimator. Ordinary autollimators
can measure angles down to 1 arc second. They often appear on ebay for
$100 to $500.

Here is one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230002552064

Here is another model;
http://www.davidsonoptronics.com/catD-638.htm

Autocollimators are how machine tool manufacturers measure
the flatness of the machine beds on larger machines. They can work over
distances of hundreds of feet.

An autocollimator is sort of a specialized telescope. It is able to
accurately
measure the angle of a target mirror. The target mirror can be hundreds
of feet away. You move the target mirror around your table and measure
the angle at various points.

Here is a better explanation of how they work;
http://www.davidsonoptronics.com/poa.htm

Pete.