CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Rotating Ballnut

on 2006-07-05 10:21:39 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Marcus <implmex@...> wrote:

> Hi VR:
> Are you sure that using a rotating ballnut will work out cheaper
than a
> decent sized screw?
> Last time I looked, rotating ballnuts were horrendously expensive.
> Not only that, you now have to work out a way to make the motor and its
> cables traverse with the machine without snagging the cables or
fatiguing
> the connections.
> All are easily do-able, but not necessarily cheap.
> Also, when you get up to the 96 inch traverse range, are you sure
it's wise
> to try to go on the cheap?
> This sounds like more than a hobby class machine....wouldn't you be
> disappointed if you went through all that effort to build it only to
find
> you'd built a turkey because you got too focused on how much it
cost, and
> not enough on building it strong enough?
> Just a thought!!
> Cheers
>
> Marcus

Some of these issues are not that big. on my 10 ft axis, I had to
have 110 for the spindle, wires for home and end switches, air for the
solenoids and connections for the stepper on the Z.

Adding a rotating nut was only adding one more set of wires for the
stepper. All the kable-chain was already in place.

I do agree that the ball nuts can be pricey.

As for the costs, you do need to keep the screw in tension, and that
may require major frame reinforcement.

Dave

Discussion Thread

vrsculptor 2006-07-04 20:41:37 UTC Rotating Ballnut Jon Elson 2006-07-04 22:48:11 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Rotating Ballnut Marcus 2006-07-05 08:26:28 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Rotating Ballnut turbulatordude 2006-07-05 10:21:39 UTC Re: Rotating Ballnut vrsculptor 2006-07-05 17:22:47 UTC Re: Rotating Ballnut