CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Drive for harrison M00 lathe

john_glynn57 wrote:

>I have acquired a 10hp harrison lathe for my home shop and need to get
>suitable VSD to drive the machine however I expect that there are many
>pitfalls due to the high starting torque required to drive a lathe.
>Does anyone have experience of this problem that could save me
>unnecessary expense.

No, the VFD can soft-start the motor, so the peak load is WAY less than
would be
the case with starting from standard 3-phase mains. A one-second
start-up is
perfectly acceptable in most cases, and reduces the load by a huge
factor. You
don't really want a rapid start of a heavily loaded 10 Hp motor from
residential
service.

I have a way oversize VFD on my 5 Hp lathe, but probably a 10 - 15 Hp
VFD would
be suitable, as you are not likely to ever load the motor to the full
rating in the
home shop.

john_glynn57 2006-08-13 10:17:51 UTC Drive for harrison M00 lathe Jon Elson 2006-08-13 13:06:52 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Drive for harrison M00 lathe