CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Routing speed?

on 2006-08-14 09:46:18 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Davis" <wdavis@...> wrote:

> Thanks Dave, your advice is appreciated, I figure the 269 motors was
> overkill. I'm thinking(since I'm learning here) I'd start out
learning how
> to do circuit board and then, maybe, move on to bigger things. The
machine
> is too an overkill for circuit boards.
> thanks
> bill

It sounds like your first desire is to make something and see it work,
then make a much better thing based on what you learned.

At the risk of bucking the trend, considder buying a small mill. if
you looked at the cost of steel for a machine, plus the cost of screws
and linear rails, you can easily top $500 on the frame, before you
pick up the saw.

A mini-mill sells new for less than that and is already assembled.

Second, you have the machine to make motor mounts with. That would
save a few hundred in machine shop fees and it will shave 10's (100's)
of hours off the project.

Your motors are perfect size for such a project.

Even if you never convert the mill, having it in the shop to make
other parts is invaluable.

McMaster Carr sells ball screws at a good price, but you have to be
able to turn the ends. someone on the list offers ball screws for the
same price, but also offers turned ends as well as double chase
ball-nuts for better anti-backlash control. With the mill, you can
use the ACME that comes with.

As for the PCB machine, it can be really simple to make one that does
large traces.

Dave

Discussion Thread

wdavis364 2006-08-11 11:07:30 UTC Routing speed? turbulatordude 2006-08-11 13:17:36 UTC Re: Routing speed? Bill Davis 2006-08-11 13:41:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Routing speed? turbulatordude 2006-08-14 09:46:18 UTC Re: Routing speed?