CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: direct printing PCBs

on 2006-08-16 10:35:45 UTC
What type of parts are you looking to make with it? Is EDM intended as
an alternative to rotary-tool milling so you don't need as rigid
structural elements, or as a quick way to cut sheet material?

If you're cutting sheet metal, a CO2 laser isn't too hard to build
from scratch, although you may end up in the glass blowing business.
With laminated sheet metal you can make a lot of very rigid metal
parts from tough materials, like robo-grip pliers. You'd also be able
to make motor laminations.

On 8/16/06, Sebastien Bailard - Dubsen <Sebastien.Bailard@...> wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 August 2006 12:28, Graham Stabler wrote:
> > --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Sebastien Bailard - Dubsen
> >
> > > Hey Graham,
> > >
> > > I've been meaning to ask you, any interest in helping design a
> >
> > wire-EDM head
> >
> > > to go on a RepRap?
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > -Sebastien Bailard
> > > reprap.org
> >
> > Although sometimes described as a precision band saw its just a tad
> > more complicated and doesn't really suit a modular approach.
> >
> > Its not as simple as just setting a cutting head running before
> > watching a part fall out, it is a project as big as your reprap itself
> > getting something that will produce decent parts. I'm only trying
> > myself because I make a set of assumptions such as "I will cut only
> > small parts", "I will only cut material up to 3mm thick", "I will
> > accept super slow cutting speeds".
> >
> > One thing you need to consider is the space that spools of wire, wire
> > tensioning equipment, filters, pumps, tanks etc will take up then if
> > you use water you need a de-ionizer and if you use oil you need
> > somewhere to store that. It also isn't exactly rapid.
> >
> > So I guess the answer is no but if I do get something working it will
> > be available in some open-source format I should think.
> >
> > Graham
> >
> > p.s. Do a search on this group for wire ECM, it might suit better if
> > you can stand the accuracy (not that I know what it is). The
> > advantage is that the wire is not consumed, it might also be faster
> > and the control should be easier. But I'm still sceptical.
>
> Thank you for taking the time to explain matters. I had a sense of some of
> the complexity, but let my eagerness override my caution.
>
> We're still in the feasibility-proposal stage. But the project lead thought
> it was doable. You've thought about it more than I have, and probably more
> than he has.
>
> With all the overhead you're describing, it sounds like a removable head is
> nonsense, and it makes more sense to make a standalone system, which was my
> fallback plan... Do you think you'd be able to design most of the parts for
> standalone system to be RP-able, or at least EDM-able?
>
> Maybe we'd want to go with a edm machine that could, along with parts from a
> reprap, reproduce.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Sebastien

> timg@...
> Moderator: pentam@... indigo_red@... davemucha@...
> [Moderators]
>
> OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
> aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to reach it if
> you have trouble.

> sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are there, for OT
> subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.

> DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO EXCEPTIONS........
> bill
> List Mom
> [...]

Discussion Thread

Sebastien Bailard - Dubsen 2006-08-16 10:03:43 UTC Fwd: Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: direct printing PCBs Dennis Schmitz 2006-08-16 10:35:45 UTC Re: direct printing PCBs Graham Stabler 2006-08-16 10:36:42 UTC Fwd: Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: direct printing PCBs Graham Stabler 2006-08-16 10:46:50 UTC Re: direct printing PCBs Dennis Schmitz 2006-08-16 11:40:12 UTC Re: direct printing PCBs Graham Stabler 2006-08-16 17:20:19 UTC Re: direct printing PCBs Sebastien Bailard 2006-08-16 19:36:43 UTC Re: Fwd: Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: direct printing PCBs