CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Opinions on CAD software

Posted by mikehenryil
on 2006-09-02 08:26:26 UTC
"Best" is a subjective term, especially when it comes to CAD, so you
will probably get lots of opinions.

I've using Alibre Design for a couple of years for 3-D part and
assembly design and have been pretty happy with it. Prices from
around $1k to $2k depending on the version. There's a 30-day trial
version available at their web site and I think that they still
offer a free version (Alibre Design Express) that is somewhat
feature limited.

I'll be taking delivery on a Tormach CNC mill in around a month and
will be using SprutCAM Expert 4 for the CAM function. The mill
itself uses Mach2 for motion control. SprutCAM apparently lists for
around $3k but Tormach sells it for $1k. There's a newer version of
Mach (Mach3) that sells for around $150, I think. I haven't used
either of these yet, but they seem to be generally well thought of.

www.alibre.com
www.sprutcam.com
http://www.machsupport.com/artsoft/index/index.htm
www.tormach.com

Mike

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "patcom1970"
<patcom1970@...> wrote:

> Does anyone have any opinions on what is the best CAD software for
> CNC milling machine? I am building a 3 axis gantry type machine
driven
> by steppers. The motors will be controlled by Pic
List "Linistepper"
> drive boards.
>
> I intend to be milling PCBs as well as nonferrous metals &
plastics.
> Both the metals & plastics I expect to be fairly complex 3
dimensional
> shapes.
>
> I will be using a pentium based PC running XP. Cost is an issue,
but
> getting a good package is more important than outright cost.
>
> Your advice would be most appreciated.
>
> Tony.

Discussion Thread

patcom1970 2006-09-02 07:07:00 UTC Opinions on CAD software mikehenryil 2006-09-02 08:26:26 UTC Re: Opinions on CAD software