CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: How small can a plasma torch get?

on 2006-09-02 16:03:36 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Ron Ginger <ronginger@...> wrote:

> For years Ive wanted a laser to cut parts for model engines, but to cut
> metal I realize the laser power is too high and the prices way out
of my
> range.
>
> But maybe a plasma cutter could do it- are there plasma torches that
> will cut real small parts? Could I cut something like a model
locomotive
> frame, maybe 1" wide by 10" long, with a variety of cutouts?
>
> Ive already built a CNC router for wood and plastic, and have a CNC
mill
> for oterh parts, but cutting sheet metal with a plasma CNC would be
cool.

> ron ginger

I'm going to get a bad reputation for silly ideas at this rate:

http://www.indoor.flyer.co.uk/plasma.JPG

I created the holes in this rasor blade using a small 80v supply, a
plasma globe powersupply some brass tube and an airbrush compressor.

Taking this a step further into a machine that might cut something
seriously is probably a bit of a jump but not so daft. The smaller
plasma cutters have relatively low currents of around 12A and will cut
say 1mm thick steel at that I think.

I'm not sure how well plasma cutting scales, in industry they don't
consider it for thin sheet because laser fits the bill so well but
there are plenty of hobby applications where the ability to cut 1mm
thick steel to OK accuracy could be really handy. There are really
two main components to consider, the supply and the handpiece. The
latter is probably best bought as a spare part, the former could be
built fairly simply for low powers.

That all said perhaps minaturization of the nozzle diameter would be a
good thing if you are also going to thinner material.

You didn't actually mention the thickness.

I see a few of you are cutting some pretty thin stuff, can you give me
an idea of your settings, what is the voltage and current and what is
the starting mechanism of the torch? If I can select the right
handpiece I'll happily buy one to play with.

Graham

Discussion Thread

Ron Ginger 2006-09-01 16:53:03 UTC How small can a plasma torch get? caudlet 2006-09-01 17:20:58 UTC Re: How small can a plasma torch get? Darren Lucke 2006-09-01 17:28:40 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: How small can a plasma torch get? Details afogassa 2006-09-01 18:03:02 UTC Re: How small can a plasma torch get? Graham Stabler 2006-09-02 16:03:36 UTC Re: How small can a plasma torch get? josef-wagner 2006-09-03 09:27:00 UTC AW: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: How small can a plasma torch get?