CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC Problem Solved

Victor A. Estes wrote:

>Jon Elson, Dennis Schmitz, Brian Pitt, Reid Smith, and Steve from DIY-CNC group,
>
> Thanks for all of your help. The problem was the format of the USB thumb drive I have been using. It's just a FAT format and not FAT32 or NTFS. When I transfer the files the USB drive is truncating the file names. Now I just need to get it reformatted to FAT32 system.
>
> Also the other problem was that I was not using the unmount command when disconnecting my USB drive. I found the command, tried it out, and now it works great. So the unmount command in Linux is just like the eject command on my windows system.
>
> I also wanted to see if I could create a long file name in Linux. I did, and no problem. So I now know for sure that the USB drive was corrupting the file names.

Actually, it wasn't the USB drive, but the way Windows 3.1 made it
APPEAR that you had ling file names.
The FAT format only allows an 8.3 format for files, and there was
another file associated with each directory
that held the longer name. So, the REAL file name for abcdefghijkl.xyz
would be abcdef~1.xyz, and that
other file would hold the ghijkl part. All this was hidden by Windows,
but if you accessed the disk
with some other OS, you would see these fractured file names. (If you
didn't see the ~1.xyz stuff, then
it may be a different variant of this file name fooling around.)

Victor A. Estes 2006-09-18 11:19:18 UTC EMC Problem Solved Jon Elson 2006-09-18 19:08:58 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] EMC Problem Solved