CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re : minimum work CNC conversion

Posted by Ken Campbell
From: "Horace, T.L.Ho" <skyfroghorace@...>

> I am still in early stage sourcing parts, my XY servos would be
> 850oz-in peak torque, 72VDC, 8.5A, Z servo would be smaller as I am
> motorizing the quill. Not much calculation is done I am just
> following others' steps. I forgot to mention that I will use
> ballscrews, 32mm dia and 10mm lead. I want them be zero backlash but
> it depends on the results of sourcing.
>
> Why ? the reason is quite the same with most garage engineers, but I
> don't know really as my works need high precision I probably should
> get a new CNC mill 12000rpm fanuc 18Mi controller and other
> expensive stuffs, and treat this project as a learning process.
>
> What best results in precision we can get for such a converted
> machine ?
Just a thought, but take a serious review of obtaining a boss bridgeport and
using the factory or replacement steppers with a new controller box and
drivers ... we have run ours for days non-stop routing fiberglas/carbon
fiber with a gear speeder , and never missed a step ..... in fact, I just
drilled 1200 holes, each one indexed in a roto indexer, the table had to jog
x & y in between the drill cycle, to clear the index handle ... other than
boring me to death, it didnt miss a step the whole run. control was open
end, no feedback. software is ahah.
regards, ken campbell, deltawerkes