CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] "Apparently" I've got interference....

Posted by Dave Halliday
on 2006-10-06 21:09:18 UTC
Buffered board definitely.

Make sure that all of your CNC circuitry stays away from the laser
circuitry. I'm talking about power to the PC, power to the motors and
drivers, cable from the PC to the motor drivers and from the motor drivers
to the motors.
Do not run the wires parallel to the laser wiring, run them at right angles.

You might try switching to twisted shielded cable for all of the above.

Have two separate ground points: #1) - for the motors and the computers and
#2) - for the laser. Use a star grounding configuration.

On shielded cable, only ground one end of the shield (if you connect the
ground from your PC through the cable to the ground on your motor
controllers, this will defeat the star grounding for those two devices.

A good short article on ground loops and star grounding is here:

http://www.lh-electric.4t.com/gnd_loop.htm

If you have a couple hours to kill, start here:

http://www.epanorama.net/documents/groundloop/

and follow the links...

You need to get this absolutely nailed before you start powering up the
laser. You could always kill the power when (not if... WHEN) something goes
wrong but it would be better to have all systems working perfectly. Much
less hassle.

Dave

Discussion Thread

Stan Lewis 2006-10-06 16:11:21 UTC "Apparently" I've got interference.... Dave Halliday 2006-10-06 21:09:18 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] "Apparently" I've got interference....