CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Best method for linear motion?

on 2006-10-30 11:58:08 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "thunder2kal"
<thunder2kal@...> wrote:

> Hello people of best forum of CAD CAM!
> I write from Argentina (sorry for the english)
> I want advice about methods/systems for linear motion for a 2D/3D
> cutting-milling machine for MDF (wood) with the best relation
> cost/benefit.
> The searching is orientated to mechanisms to move in 2/3 axis the
> cutter-milling in table of 2800 x 2000 mm with precision of 0.5 mm
> The motors will be Steps of 200 ppr. (No problem with the
> electronics)
>
> Questions:
> 1) What mechanical technology will be used for each movement?
> 2) What torque to the motors?
>
> Any advice is welcome!
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Luli.

The optimum is usually the most expensive.

Linear ball slides are desired due to their smoothness and low friction.

for such a large area, one would benifit from a fully supported rail
system.

the accuracy is easy to achieve in many ways, and my first thought is
t use a poly slide on hardened steel.

the poly slide (Delrin or some such) is better at removing the dust
than a bearing with seals.

For the same reason, I think ACME screws would have a slight edge over
a ball screw.

The good news is that you should be able to get either style to work,
and you can use whichever is easier to get.

Dave

Discussion Thread

thunder2kal 2006-10-30 08:37:36 UTC Best method for linear motion? turbulatordude 2006-10-30 11:58:08 UTC Re: Best method for linear motion?