CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] power supply question

"Carey L. Culpepper" wrote:

> This question concerns hooking up power supplies in series for higher
> voltage. I have done that with a pair of 28V supplies and now have
> 56V.
> This was with 2 identical power supplies. My question is this: can you
>
> put another supply in series of a different voltage rating? Say, for
> instance, I wanted to get closer to the 75V max voltage of my drives.
> Could I use a 12V to 18V power supply in series with the 2 28V
> supplies?
> Or do you think that I should stay away from the max voltage running
> these Warner drives with NEMA 42 motors?

Yes, if the supply is adequately filtered, and isolated from ground,
then you
can add another in series. Unless you know that the driver is capable
of more
than the rated voltage, don't get too close, or you could damage the
driver.

Jon Elson 2000-07-14 23:37:48 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] power supply question