CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: LARGE DC MOTOR caps

Posted by Derek B.
on 2000-07-16 11:48:07 UTC
Stan:
I would not recommend running the motor at such a high voltage the motor
sounds like it is getting too hot. When you double the voltage you
double the amps. The life of the windings will be decreased.
As Bill wrote you should not put a electrolytic capacitor across the AC
voltage it will explode also going over the max voltage rating of the
capacitor will do the same. There are AC capacitor such as mylar these
are used to swing the sine wave out of phase.
The best way to see what value of electrolytic capacitor is if you have
an oscilloscope start with 2000 to 4000 uf and rate at least 20% more
than the voltage dc output or more. Watch the oscilloscope and run motor
watch for sags or glitches on output. Keep increasing UF in parallel
until all are gone. Also put a .01uf tant. cap. across the output. This
will filter the output from emf riding on the AC line going through the
bridge rect.

Derek B.