CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Timing Pulleys for CNC Work - OK or Not ???

Posted by Mark Vaughan
on 2006-11-25 01:43:38 UTC
Professional spark eroders use belts and ball screws. Some of the ball
screws are as course as 5 tpi, and these machines repeat to 5 micron with
ease, and better than 3 if you are careful. (Note these machines have a
temperature controlled bath that every thing sits in. The only difference
with a mill is that there are much greater loads, but to keep the ball screw
back lash under control, many spark eroders also have very tight ball
screws. And before someone sakes, the encoder is mounted on the motor, not
the screw, which theoretically should make things worse.

You may note some discussions on here regarding belt stretch, this does
exist in machines I build, but the belt is 10 meters long and only 5mm wide,
so one would expect a little stretch, and it's not much, about 5mm as it
beds in.

With a short drive belt on a machine, you will need a slotted motor mount to
tension it, but after that should be no problem.

As an indication of size, bigs commercial mills with a 5 tpi ball screw, and
6KW servo use 1.5 inch HTD belt.

Regs Mark

_____