CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Difference between a .nc and a .tap file?

Posted by Fred Smith
on 2006-11-30 05:07:30 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Nicholas Carter and Felice
Luftschein <felice@...> wrote:

> I had a customer ask me this question and I was unable to find an
answer
> Googling around or in any of my CNC books:
> "What is the difference between a .nc and a .tap file?"

If both files open in a text editor and display only printable
characters ( ie. the characters that you can type on a keyboard with
a single key press), there is probably no difference.

Many pc based controllers require a specific file extension for
program files. Some have one extension for proprietary formatted
code (like a tokenized conversational format) and another for G-code.
If the wrong file extension is used, the controller may not be able
to recognize the file contents. This varies by controller
manufacturer.

Some Cad-Cam programs can save a file with embedded information that
integrates with a drawing. These are usually binary coded and will
not appear as printable characters in a text editor. The embedded
information permits the drawing to display the location within the
drawing coordinate system, that corresponds to the location of the
cursor within the program editor.

Fred Smith - IMService
http://www.cadcamcadcam.com/hobby

Discussion Thread

Nicholas Carter and Felice Luftschein 2006-11-29 11:42:35 UTC Difference between a .nc and a .tap file? Leslie Newell 2006-11-29 13:10:15 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Difference between a .nc and a .tap file? Robert Colin Campbell 2006-11-29 14:27:43 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Difference between a .nc and a .tap file? Jim Peck 2006-11-29 17:52:46 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Difference between a .nc and a .tap file? Fred Smith 2006-11-30 05:07:30 UTC Re: Difference between a .nc and a .tap file? cnc002@a... 2006-11-30 07:22:54 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Difference between a .nc and a .tap file?