CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Seeking Advice on Making a Rotary 4th Axis

on 2006-12-05 18:02:51 UTC
Peter,

I did this, but haven't started cutting yet.

I have used an 8" H/V rotary table from Phase II, mounted like a lathe. I
mounted a lathe chuck on table, having machined a cast iron plate to mount
them together. The rotary table is mated with the Phase II tail
stock. The vertically mounted table and the tail stock are bolted to the
T-slots of a Bridgeport milling machine table.

I attached the servo by removing the crank handle and attaching the
servomotor to that point. The whole servomotor assembly rotates to
disengage the worm gear from the table.

I don't have a way to quantify the errors in the system, but it seems
tight. The problems a previous responder suggested with the platform
bearings may be minimized in my application because I will be preloading
the spindle bearing with the tailstock.

-- Carl

At 01:42 PM 11/30/2006, you wrote:

>I `m planning on making a rotary 4th axis for my CNC mill and have a
>few questions: I already have the servo and drive so that isn't in
>question. I was trying to decide if I should start with a rotary table
>or perhaps an indexing head or super spacer. I know that the ratio of
>the turn handle on a rotary table provides more accuracy and torque
>being in the 40:1 range as apposed to the 25:1 ratio of an indexing
>head. But what I am most concerned with is the back lash and the
>holding ability. I'd like to use a 6 or 8 inch table so I can mount a
>good sized chuck to it. I was wondering what people here have done
>like this? And if any one has any links that they might think useful,
>I'd appreciate that too.
>
>Thanks
>
>Peter-

Peter D. 2006-11-30 10:58:07 UTC Seeking Advice on Making a Rotary 4th Axis Abby Katt 2006-11-30 12:11:05 UTC Homemade high-speed spindles/speed multiplier. What bearings to use? turbulatordude 2006-11-30 16:49:30 UTC Re: Homemade high-speed spindles/speed multiplier. What bearings to use? Jon Elson 2006-11-30 20:08:03 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Seeking Advice on Making a Rotary 4th Axis gawnca 2006-12-01 03:58:33 UTC Re: Homemade high-speed spindles/speed multiplier. What bearings to use? Carl Mikkelsen 2006-12-05 18:02:51 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Seeking Advice on Making a Rotary 4th Axis