CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Z_axis Height Control

on 2006-12-10 20:37:43 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "eng8248" <eng8248@...> wrote:

> I was wondering about the different methods implemented to control the
> height of the z-axis of a CNC Plasma Cutter torch, in order to maintain
> a consistent distance between the cutter head and the metal work piece.
> Any ideas?

One simple method is to use a contact ring. let is slide over the
metal and hope that it does not move the sheet.

A local sheet metal shop near me has this. a 10 pound steel ring, 45
degree bevel that is 2 inches high, the ring has a 3 inch ID and the
bevel is about 6 inches OD. the whole thing is about 4 inches high
and the vacuum is connected to it.

One great thing is that the spark is confined and will not blind you.
One bad thing is that the spark is confined and you cannot watch the
work.

Next step up is to use some sort of electronical unit that monitors
the spark and automatically adjusts the torch height. A torch height
control or THC.

There are a few out there. Probably the best known is the Sound Logic
THC that Bob Campbell sells.

There is another version with more features.

I hope one of the guys will post links.

Dave

Discussion Thread

eng8248 2006-12-10 19:20:07 UTC Z_axis Height Control turbulatordude 2006-12-10 20:37:43 UTC Re: Z_axis Height Control caudlet 2006-12-11 08:41:43 UTC Re: Z_axis Height Control