CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] encoder indexing pulse

on 2000-07-18 15:44:32 UTC
Carey,

Don't know why there would be "dual A" & "dual B" channels (an inverted
pair?), As to the index channel, it will go "active" once a rev,
probably not much use unless you "count" them, and then *AND* with an
index. Looks like they're more useful when you have single rotation to
watch (I could have used them on my RDF antenna rotator stepper
project).

You will want to use a logic gate, I.E., a 7400, 74HC00 or similar
*AND* gate. Sorry, you can't just hook them up in series! You probably
want separate inputs from each limit and the indexes; software might
watch for a "close" limit, and gate (AND) with the index to "home in",
as you suggest.

Steppers and limit switches are often used in combination, a "phase" of
the stepper drive is "ANDED" together to give a very "tight" signal
(otherwise the simple optical sensors e.g. floppy drives, would be too
"wide").

The optical outputs are pretty safe, just like optical isolators, but if
you add logic to their output, you might want to keep that logic (and
power) on the PC side.

Hope this helps

Alan