CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Servo motor size for kneemill - Vector vs Bob

Posted by armand_th
on 2007-03-17 04:06:45 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "John Stevenson" <john@...>
wrote:

> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Jankura <toolznglue@>
> wrote:
> >

> > >My applications will be in 2 fields.
> >
> > >1. making wooden ultralight propellers from raws with max. sizes
of
> > >55" x 7" x 3 ". Given that a propeller has 2 symetrical halves,
the X
> > >axis may be reduced to about 32", needing some more handling
though.

> > >2. make some aluminum parts for small 2 and 4 stroke engines.
> > >Eventually also some made out of steel.
> >
> > I'd recommend that you consider two or three machines - a router
> build your propellers and a mill (and possibly a lathe) to build
your
> metal parts.
> >
> > >I have downloaded the demo versions of the 2 a.m. softwares.
However
> > >having no experience yet, I am not quiet sure which one is the
best
> > >CAD application in my case. Can someone give me some advise on
which
> > >direction to go.
> >
> > I bought a full copy of Vector after I'd purchased their cheap CAD
> only version and am quite happy with it. I've not worked with BobCad
> at all, so I cannot provide a good comparison. But, if you read
> through messages on this list and also on the DIY_CNC list, you'll
> find a lot of good comments about Vector and few, if any about
BobCad.
> You might also want to try a program called Dolphin - which some
folks
> seem to like. In the end, just make sure that what ever program you
> ultimately purchase is able to generate the G-Code that your DeskCNC
> will accept. While the basic G-Codes are pretty much standardized,
> each of the software programs that interpret these codes to provide
> step and direction signals to the motor drives has its own quirks.
> >
> > -- Jerry Jankura
> > Strongsville, Ohio
> > So many toys.... So little time....
> >

> First off, Dolphin whilst being one of the easiest program to learn
it
> is limited in 3D cutting, it's sold as 2-1/2D and that is what it
> excels at.
>
> Bobcad and Vector are very close to one another at the moment, both
> write code on the fly as you select entities to machine which makes
> editing very hard and prone to mistakes.
> Change a tool and you have to redo the toolpath.
>
> Bobcad currently has V22 in the wings awaiting release, from some
> screen shots I have seen it's now developed into a more upmarket
> product with operations manager, tool tables and simulation licensed
> from Predator.
>
> Just how developed this is only Bobcad know at present but at least
> it's a step in the right direction.
> From the original three outlaws, Bobcad, Vector and Auscad, the good
> the bad and the ugly, [ in no order <g> ] it looks as if Auscad has
> developed into the much respected OneCNC, maybe Bobcad is next if
they
> get the teeth pulled from the sales team and just leaves Vector to
> hope fully follow ?
>
> So unless anything is dire as regards buying it may pay to wait.
>
> John S.

Thanks a lot to all for your advise.

I think I am going to get an old Bridgeport like kneemill first and
change the old worn lead screws to ball screws and put some servo
motors on them. What would be an adequate Nominal torque for those
motors ?
Can you recomend any Asian brands for those motors?

Once all the 3 axis are operational, I am going to make some trials
for propeller models and only if the result is satisfactory I am
going to invest further into a CNC router to make the props in larger
series may be installing 2 or 3 router heads onto the Z axis.

The CNC mill will be very usefull next to the one I do already
possess and which I upgraded with a DRO system.

A CNC lathe may be the next step. For the moment I do already have 2
conventional ones. May be I can upgrade the older one for this task.

For your software advise, I will take it and wait a bit because it is
going to take some time till I got my hardware running.

Thanks

Daniel
Thailand

Discussion Thread

Jerry Jankura 2007-03-12 07:11:04 UTC Vector vs Bob R Rogers 2007-03-12 07:48:36 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Vector vs Bob John Stevenson 2007-03-12 12:40:47 UTC Re: Vector vs Bob armand_th 2007-03-17 04:06:45 UTC Re: Servo motor size for kneemill - Vector vs Bob