CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

.DXF .CCD .DGN

on 2000-07-21 17:27:15 UTC
Thanks for the info Fred.

I thought I'd do a little more studying before I bothered you with a
question that is in the manual. Now I remember that files can be
exploded to lines. That would probably take care of the dimensions
fine.

I'd like to see some Steam Engine plans posted on Sherline/CAD_CAM_DRO.
I found a .GIF of a nice old Stewart vertical (#1?). It's an exploded
view, and I don't *QUITE* know how some of the valve parts work, but it
would make an interesting project. I just need to start identifying and
drawing the parts. Anyone out there have some views?

Alan

Fred Smith wrote:

> >My new VectorCAM program (I'm just learning it) can also output .DXF
> >(file exchange std), .CCN (VectorCad), and .DGN (AutoCad) files if
> >anyone wants. the .DXF files have me puzzled. Are there dimensions in
> >my .DXF files? I can't see them. I thought I had. Oh well.
> >

> The Vector internal file format is .CCD and templates are .CCT
>
> The .DGN format is the Bobcad for DOS format. It is interchangable with any of the bobcad versions since V12 for DOS. (16 bit versioins of Auscad too) It will retain dimensions, but the DOS versions of Bobcad are limited to 11000 entities & will explode (don't try this at home!) if you try to open a file with more. Bobcad V17 has a problem writing to this format & DGN is not officially being supported any more.
>
> The DXF file format is the pseudo standard promulgated by Autocad as the Design eXchange Format. Vector will read Autocad 2000 DXF files fairly well, and does retain dimensions in saved files. However, Bobcad does NOT recognize any entities in a DXF file except for lines, arcs, points, and polylines. Do not expect to see ellipses, 3D arcs, or poly arcs, as they are not supported in the Bobcad DXF format.
>
> Vector can "explode" it's dimensions, leaders, and arrowheads into lines before saving as a DXF. This is the safest method of sending dimension information to others, as most all systems can at least read DXF lines.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Fred Smith- IMService

Discussion Thread

Alan Marconett KM6VV 2000-07-21 17:27:15 UTC .DXF .CCD .DGN