CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Limited budget Home Shop?

Posted by mikehenryil
on 2007-04-07 06:17:23 UTC
The Tormach PCNC 1100 CNC mill might still be available with a 110
VAC option. Base price is $6800, but desireable options will
probably quickly use up the remainder of the $10k budget.

Mike

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Jesse Lim" <tjlim357@...>
wrote:

> Dear Everybody,
>
> I decided to set up my own home shop, to satisfy
> my machining hobby and maybe earn a little bit
> money to do some prototyping work.
>
> My budget is quite limited (maybe not more than
> $10,000), so I like to ask the opinion of you all
> experienced homeshop machinest on what is the best
> for the limited money. My requirement are:
>
> 1. Definitely have to have a mill, though having
> a lathe together is a big plus.
>
> 2. I am living in a townhouse, have to place my
> machines in my 1-car garage and I cannot do any
> electrical wiring due to the HOA rules, so I have
> to stick with the 110V outlet.
>
> 3. Most of the parts I'm going to do will not be big,
> should fit well in 10"x4"x4" envelop. But
> occationally will work on bigger workpiece.
>
> 4. I need to work on stainless steel and titanium
> alloys (e.g. Ti-6V-4Al).
>
> 5. For 4 above, the machine must have good reapeatability
> and not much backlash.
>
> 6. 4-axis CNC is a huge plus.
>
> With all these constraint, I am considering one of the
> followings:
>
> 1. Shoptask with CNC
> 2. MaxNC 15 CL2
> 3. TaigTools 2027
> 4. Any other good CNC-able table top models
>
> Maybe 2, 3 or 4 above plus shoptask without CNC for
> occational big work pieces.
>
> Any advice? Thanks in advance.
>
> Jesse

Discussion Thread

Jesse Lim 2007-04-06 20:47:42 UTC Limited budget Home Shop? mikehenryil 2007-04-07 06:17:23 UTC Re: Limited budget Home Shop? cliffhcliff 2007-04-07 07:51:42 UTC Re: Limited budget Home Shop?