CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: rhino + 3d printer

Posted by afogassa
on 2007-05-10 16:43:20 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Graham Stabler"
<grezmos@...> wrote:

> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "afogassa" <afogassa@>
wrote:

> > HI All,
> > I've downloaded rhino 4 and it looks that the tools to make a
3d
> > printer is there, just need a little to make it work.
> > I draw a part then saved as .Slc file then opened and hatch
one
> > slice then saved as a windows metafile.
> > now, one could make a script to put each slc slice on a
diferent
> > layer and hatch it up then print it.
> > Too bad it has only 25 savings.
> > How about that?
> >
> > Fogassa
> >

> I'm afraid it may be more complicated than that, in order to fill
you
> need to know which parts should be filled, you can't just fill all
> contours as some may represent an interior wall of a tube for
example.

> The slc file format contains the information about whether a
contour
> is an interior or exterior one but when imported it just becomes a
> line. You would need to write a script that would move from left
> carefully filling just the right sections (if a contour loops it
can
> cause confusion). Rhino script is pretty nice to use with lots of
> automated versions of the commands but it would still be fairly
tricky
> I think.
>
> If you work in academia or know someone who does you will find the
> academic pricing of Rhino very reasonable. Its just such a shame
it
> is not possible to have a hobby price on this software at the same
> level. I have a similar problem to you, I have version 3, it
exports
> slc but will not import it.
>
> I've just had a play with povray, the website I linked to has the
> povray file they used for the toroidal item they printed. It shows
> how the object can be sliced by using a camera view looking
straight
> down with no perspective and making the object transparent but the
> intersection of the object with a box black. The animation feature
> can then make a stack of images at differing levels. Rhino 3.0
will
> export pov meshes but I suspect it will all be rather cumbersome
and
> slow overall.
>
> Graham

No wondering 3d printers price started to come down. there is more
people out there trying to figure out how to make one.
Dimension is about to releasy a 9.999 one.
But the build material is still cost alot.
I had a quote for a FDM machine and the starting build material kit
was something like 3K.
It's about 200 bucks for 1Kg of build material.
well, the last time I had to buy a regular printer cartridge for my
lexmark it cost me about the same as a new printer, the 3d printer
makers are heading the same way.

Discussion Thread

afogassa 2007-05-10 15:07:31 UTC rhino + 3d printer Bob Campbell 2007-05-10 15:26:45 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] rhino + 3d printer Graham Stabler 2007-05-10 15:50:22 UTC Re: rhino + 3d printer afogassa 2007-05-10 16:22:33 UTC Re: rhino + 3d printer afogassa 2007-05-10 16:43:20 UTC Re: rhino + 3d printer afogassa 2007-05-10 22:44:46 UTC Re: rhino + 3d printer