CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] ??? from a guy hoping to graduate up to newbie.

Posted by Ejay Hire
on 2000-07-29 07:01:46 UTC
Where do you live? I can give you a push in the right direction.

Ejay Hire
Nashville, TN

----Original Message Follows----
From: pladds@...
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] ??? from a guy hoping to graduate up to newbie.
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 22:15:17 -0000

Hi all,

About two months ago I started from the very CNC beginning: first
learning about electricity, then how motors work, stepper vs. servo,
G codes, etc. After all this work I still don't think I have quite
graduated to newbie yet. Most who call themselves newbies aren't
truly new -- relative to me. Hey! I just learned what a diode does
this week.

My first objectives is to "home brew" a system which will operate one
stepper motor. All I wish to accomplish is to get a motor's rotor to
spin and control its movements. After I accomplish this, it won't be
too long before I know how to control the world and everything in it.
Right? What a hobby!

Here's my plan -- any and all suggestions would be appreciated:

1. Get a stepper motor.
2. Get a circuit board to connect the motor to the parallel port of a
PC.
3. Get two types software:
i. Software (drivers?) which allow PC to communicate with the
circuit board and motor.
ii. Software to run motion control code (G code).

4. Get the whole mess to work together.

I understand that there are many details which have been excluded
here i.e. operating system issues, dual boot or separate PC, circuits,
uni/bipolor, computer language, etc.

But, do I at least have a basic understanding of the components
(elements)needed to operate a stepper motor with a PC?

Pladds
--
Feels so good to do the right thing ... it's a wonder I don't do it
more often.