CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: taig pick and placing

Posted by Peter Homann
on 2007-06-07 19:42:22 UTC
Hi Jon,

For what is is worth, the brass stencil I had made (etched) appears to
have been "scrubbed" clean. The marks appear to be as if they were done
with steel wool.

Goo to see you have your machine up and running. For the comms I use a
null modem cablel with no software hand-shaking and I think 56K baud and
use HyperTerm. All without a problem.

Does anyone have the terminal emulator that came with Windows prior to
Hyperterm?

I was interested to hear that you removed the jaws of one of the heads,
head 3 I presume? My head 3 doesn't have any jaws. I'm currently using it
for the ModIO PLCC socket. I center it with the mechanical jaw, centering
unit. I also have the upward looking centering camera, but haven't used it
yet.

I also have a vibrating stickfeeder plus 2 pneumatic stick feeders. They
have a bar on them so that after a component is picked, a pneumatic
solenoid activates to tilt all the sticks up at 45 degs, then down again,
thus allowing the next component to slide into position.

My only complaint with the machine is that it only mounts components up to
6mm high. I have a 10mm high electro that I still need to manually mount.

Cheers,

Peter.

Jon Elson wrote:
> Graham Stabler wrote:
>> Sounds like a real ordeal, I wonder what they did before these "labour
>> saving" devices.
>>
> Oh, a friend of mine cut a doorway between what essentially were
> two houses with a common wall. He ignored my advice of using a
> diamond saw, and rented a six foot tall jackhammer. The mess
> was incredible! He had 1/4" concrete dust over everything
> within 20 feet, and both entire houses, all 3 floors, were
> covered with concrete dust, the entire place was a uniform tan
> color, walls, floor and even ceiling! Windows, too. It took
> them two months to clean up the mess.
>
> I hired out the backbreaking labor, and am darn glad I did. My
> mess was limited to a fine dust film for a couple feet inside,
> plus lots of mud tracked everywhere on people's shoes. Not much
> cleanup required at all!
>
>> Experiments on etching are worth their weight in gold, I had terrible
>> trouble for a long time and I tried everything, turned out that the
>> light box lid was faulty and the art work was not being pressed
>> against the pcb (only sometimes just to make it worse).
> Oh, I already had the technology to make quite commercial
> quality PC boards here. The only thing lacking is plated
> through hole capability. I made my own laser photoplotter with
> 1000 x 1000 dot/inch resolution, writing onto Agfa litho imaging
> film. I then print these onto DuPont Riston dry film
> photoresist. I got a Kepro dry film laminator through eBay when
> a guy was shutting his PCB shop down. (Maybe it was before
> eBay, too, it was a long time ago.)
>
> As for the exposure, I have my own system. I assemble the top
> and bottom images together with rubber cement and a spacer the
> same thickness as the material to be exposed onto. A clear
> spacer to see the alignment through, and some piece of scrap
> material for the gluing. I put it on a light table for the
> alignment. When the glue is dry, I pull out the clear spacer
> and slip in the board or shim material. In either case, the
> material has photoresist on both sides already. Then, I slip
> this between two pieces of thin Plexiglas, one of which has a
> border of spacers and an O-ring around the spacers. The other
> piece has a pipe fitting connected to a vacuum pump. When I
> turn on the pump, it suchs the two pieces together, and holds
> the whole assembly rigidly against the material to be exposed.
>
> I have a light box with 4 blacklight bulbs and an aluminum foil
> reflector. I set that facing down onto the Plexiglas vacuum
> frame and expose one side. When done, I flip the vacuum frame
> over and expose the other side, never breaking the vacuum seal.
>
> This has worked real well for PCB work, and seems to work fine
> for the brass shim stock stencils, too.
>
> [CAD_CAM content: The photoplotter is a CAD_CAM machine, and I
> wrote my own CAM software to read the "Gerber file" dialect of
> G-code and turn it into raster pixels for the photoplotter.]
>
> Jon

> [...]

Discussion Thread

Graham Stabler 2007-06-06 06:22:28 UTC taig pick and placing Jon Elson 2007-06-06 10:31:35 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] taig pick and placing Graham Stabler 2007-06-07 02:05:14 UTC Re: taig pick and placing Jon Elson 2007-06-07 09:34:46 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: taig pick and placing Graham Stabler 2007-06-07 15:26:15 UTC Re: taig pick and placing Jon Elson 2007-06-07 18:38:52 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: taig pick and placing Peter Homann 2007-06-07 19:42:22 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: taig pick and placing