CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Luddites @ ME show - was PIC users

Posted by Matt Shaver
on 2000-07-29 20:48:15 UTC
> From: James Owens <wotisname@...>
> Our cousins across the pond will have no idea what we are on about.

(you had to know this wouldn't pass without comment)

Oh I don't know, we pick up on a little of it. What I imagine you're talking
about is that your ME shows are mainly periodic conventions of stodgy
eccentrics gathered for the purpose of showing off elaborate models of
obsolete machines made on their Myfords out in the garden shed. You also seem
to be saying that many of the machinists over there have their workshops (and
minds for that matter) thoroughly gasketed and insulated against any
intrusion of modernity. It seems then that Britain and the US have some
similarities...

In the interests of fostering cultural harmony and clear communication I have
included a small British to American translation guide:

BRITISH AMERICAN

Machinery Terms:
spanner wrench
mole wrench vice grips?
slot drill end mill
1 meter 39-3/8"
torch flashlight
Brummagem screwdriver hammer
Whitworth "Why doesn't this wrench fit?"
BA "Why doesn't this screw go in?"

Materials:
silver steel drill rod
duralumin aluminum?
tufnol phenolic?
perspex acrylic (or polycarbonate?)
genolite phosphoric acid?

Automobiles and Transportation:
Vauxhall Ford
petrol gasoline
carburettor carburetor
bonnet (auto) hood (auto)
boot (auto) trunk (auto)
mudguard fender
dynamo generator (alternator)
revolution counter tachometer
lift elevator
lorry truck
truck railroad car
car park parking lot
gearbox transmission
propeller shaft drive shaft (on cars, propeller shaft on boats)
bulkhead firewall
gudgeon pin wrist pin
silencer muffler

Places:
garden yard
public school private school
breaker's yard junk yard
loo toilet, bathroom, outhouse?
auto jumble swap meet
pub bar
stockist distributor
pond Atlantic ocean

Society:
pissed drunk
angry pissed
knocked up hastily assembled from materials at hand
pregnant knocked up (slang)
(I'll stop here in the interest of propriety, but my point is: let's all
choose our words and phrases carefully)

Food:
treacle molasses
chips French fries
crisps chips
beer bitter, dark syrupy liquid usually served warm in pubs (bars)
biscuits cookies

> > Look out for all the Reliant in the car park. You can tell the
> > Reliant guys when they are inside, they all have purses.

Americans see:

http://devnull.owl.de/~cp/

Please don't hesitate to make additions or corrections as you see fit (I have
a feeling some people will anyway...)

Credits:

1. Monty Python's Flying Circus

2. Thomas the Tank Engine

3. _The Restoration of Antique and Classic Cars_
and
_Antique and Classic Cars Their Maintenance and Operation_
both by Richard C, Wheatley and Brian Morgan (the two best car books I've
ever read)

4. Usenet and the WWW

5. Rumpole

Matt Shaver, colonist

Discussion Thread

James Owens 2000-07-29 15:20:53 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Luddites @ ME show - was PIC users Jeff DelPapa 2000-07-29 18:37:16 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Luddites @ ME show - was PIC users Derek B. 2000-07-29 19:54:49 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Luddites @ ME show - was PIC users Matt Shaver 2000-07-29 20:48:15 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Luddites @ ME show - was PIC users Paul Corner 2000-07-30 01:56:55 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Luddites @ ME show - was PIC users James Owens 2000-07-30 09:27:10 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Luddites @ ME show - was PIC users Tom Simpson 2000-07-30 10:20:56 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Luddites @ ME show - was PIC users Doug Harrison 2000-07-30 10:35:09 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Luddites @ ME show - was PIC users